John E.H. Ryan, 45, died on May 16, 2012, while working in Colombo, Sri Lanka. John was born October 31, 1966, in Cheltenham, England, and spent many years of his youth in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, including three years as a lifeguard.

John was educated at Worcester Preparatory School in Berlin, MD, and The Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, NJ. He received his Bachelor’s degree from Tulane University in New Orleans, LA; Master’s degree from University of Texas-Austin; and Doctoral degree from Warwick University’s School of Business in Coventry, England.

John will be remembered for his passion and commitment to reducing the human footprint on the planet while opening economic opportunities for rural communities around the world. For over 25 years, he traveled the globe seeking fellow entrepreneurs and providing opportunities to enable them to create environmentally sustainable businesses. He will be missed dearly.

He is survived by: his wife Melissa Ryan of Arlington, VA; parents Leon and Janet Ryan of Lewes, DE; brother James and sister-in-law Loretta Ryan of Seattle, WA; sister Mary and brother-in-law Mike Roth of Wilmington, DE; and brother Leon and sister-in-law Candy Ryan of Birmingham, AL.

Private family services were held in Lewes and Rehoboth Beach, DE.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to: Friends of Cape Henlopen State Park or a local organization of your choice.

Friends of Cape Henlopen State Park - P. O. Box 132 - Nassau, DE 19969


Friday, June 15, 2012

from Marilyn Villanueva // Centerville, VA

John was my mentor, my direct supervisor, and the older brother I never had. We worked together and traveled all over India and Nepal together. He taught me how to pack light; literally packing what I need for 2-3 weeks of international travel in a small carry on (for a woman, that’s asking a lot). He taught me how to appreciate fine wine, a good lamb dish and Kingfisher beer (all in one evening). We’ve traveled by plane, by rail, by boat, by electric vehicles, by bus, by trucks and on foot in the remotest villages of India and those adventures and conversations remain close to my heart.  He also taught me the art of networking, every place we travelled, John knew someone and in most cases he already had various meetings lined up from breakfast all the way to dinner.
He also showed me tough love. When I was being indecisive about what steps to take next in my life, (grad school or another job) he kept pushing and prodding me to not just let time pass by; that attempting to calculate every possible misstep; was keeping me from experiencing my true potential.  I was young and learning the ropes in development work from him, he told me that the worst thing potential partners, investors and funders can do is say no; that whatever I decided to do in my life, whatever I focused on, I should believe in it with all my heart and I should know my material well, research everything and anything about it, then just be bold and sell it, the worst thing that people can say is no.
As passionate and as enthusiastic as he was, bold and unafraid, one of my favorite memories of him was when we went to Pune India. He mentioned that Iyengar lived there and you practiced his form of Hatha yoga. This time it was my turn to push him and I somehow got our rickshaw driver to make a side trip to Iyengar’s Center. When we got there we saw Iyengar sitting on a chair reading a book. John, all of a sudden became this shy hesitant person, I had to press him to approach Iyengar, to say hello. He didn’t want to intrude, so we decided to go the reading center. There he purchased a book for you and again I told him he should get it autographed, he didn’t want to and for some reason, a voice inside said, well “just be bold, the worst thing he can say is no”. So I did and Iyengar gladly signed the book, he even offered for us to stay, chat with him and have some tea.
I finished grad school and am again at a crossroads in life. It would have been nice to contact him again after all these years to get his advice.
I extend my condolences to all of John’s family. My prayers go out to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment